This is without doubt the best recipe I’ve ever made. I know, because this is the best thing I’ve ever tasted. I guarantee you: this chocolate banana ice cream with a sweet peanut butter swirl is the new awesome. Poor Ben and Jerry will see their sales numbers drop, because after you’ve had this ice cream you never want anything else.
Damn you vegans!
– Ben (Jerry’s one)
The sweetness of the chocolate banana ice cream, the little ting of cinnamon, and then the salty peanut butter swirl.. oh my, I want this every day for the rest of my life.
Don’t let the title of this dish scare you off: this recipe is actually ridiculously simple, and also whole foods, plant-based. That means that this banana ice cream is made of only natural, unrefined and plant-based ingredients. It doesn’t contain any rubbish like sugar, cream or preservatives. What does go into it is this:
- Peanut butter
Healthy Ice Cream
True: food items themselves aren’t ‘healthy’ or ‘unhealthy’. But I guess you get what I mean when I say ‘healthy ice cream’, when you compare this ice cream to regular ice cream. Regular ice cream contains 235 kcal and 15 grams of fat for 100 grams. This chocolade banana ice cream contains only 95 kcal and 0,3 grams of fat per 100 grams. And I didn’t even mention the fibre, vitamins and anti-oxidants it contains.
How To Make Banana ice cream
The only think you need to make banana ice cream is – drumroll – a banana. It’s dead simple: take two ripe bananas, cut them into pieces and put them in the freezer. A few hours later you throw them in the blender, you blend them, and done: ice cream.
Note: You do need to push the frozen banana pieces between the knives a few times. Make sure the blender is off when you do that. Stirring in a running blender is kind of as safe as playing with fireworks.
Last thing you need to know: banana ice cream melts REALLY fast. It’s like the Queen of Narnia meets Johnny Depp. Boom – melted right there. Everything stands or falls with a quick procedure. If you are slow or you want to put your #vegan #nicecream on Instagram first, you’ll end up with a milkshake. Still tastes good, but hey, the title of this recipe is not ‘chocolate milkshake with drowned peanut butter’.
Anti-melting tip: Place the bowl in which you’ll serve the ice cream in the freezer for half an hour before you serve it. It makes a lot of difference!
For the ice cream
- 2 to 3 ripe bananas (frozen)
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Plant-based milk (±50 ml)
For the swirl
- 50 g medjool dates
- 20 g peanut butter
- 75 ml water
- Vanilla essence (few drops)
- Sea salt (the chunky one)
Toppings: Cacaonibs, nuts or homemade granola are awesomazing, since they add a crunch. Also nice are strawberries, raspberries, kiwi or banana slices.
Step 1: Making the Peanut Butter Swirl
- Mix all swirl-ingredients in a small blender to a smooth consistency.
- Put aside.
Step 2: Making the Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Put the frozen bananas, cinnamon and plant-based milk in a blender and blend to a smooth consistency. Like I said before: you have to pause a few times to put the chunks of banana between the razors of the blender. Don’t blend for too long, or you’ll make a milkshake out of it.
- If you got yourself a smooth mix, it’s time to get your ass in fourth gear. Scoop the first half of the mixture in a bowl and set aside. Then quickly:
- Add the cacao to the rest of the ice cream and blend this real short.
- Scoop the chocolate ice cream also in the bowl with the ‘white’ ice cream, and add a 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter swirl to it. You can add more later if you like.
- Stir a little bit so the white ice cream becomes visible: this just looks nice. 🙂
- Le finising touch: throw the toppings on top.
Well what are you waiting for? Attack! And do realise that for the rest of your life, nothing will taste as good as this. ♥
The whole process in pictures:
This post is also available in NL