Until recently, rice and I did not make a good match. I thought rice was only annoying: I always managed to reduce it to a snotty substance, it stuck to the pan and it boiled over so fiercely that it was as if I was cooking a rabid wolverine instead of rice.
Admittedly, it was not the rice’ fault – it was me. I knew, and therefore decided to ask Google the embarassing question:
How to cook rice?
That question turned out to be a winning move, because from that moment on, I rediscovered rice. Now I often make a big pan so I can experiment with the remaining rice. And one of the experiments resulted into this simple beauty: super healthy chocolate rice pudding. Made with brown rice, vegan protein powder, soy yogurt and cacao. YUM. I figured this healthy rice porridge will also make the perfect post-workout snack!
So make sure you save and refrigerate at least 150 grams of rice for this recipe!
- 150 gram cooked, cold rice (every kind of rice goes, but somewhat sticky rice like jasmine rice is best)
- 150 – 200 ml soy yogurt
- 100 ml non-dairy milk
- 10 g plant-based protein powder (I used Sunwarrior chocolate)*
- 1 full tsp unsweetened cacao powder
- Royal pinch of cinnamon
* No protein powder? No worries. In that case, just leave out the milk and add one to two tablespoons of maple syrup or coconut sugar.
How to make Healthy Chocolate Rice Porridge
- Put the rice in a bowl
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Stir well
- Too firm/dry? Add a bit of soy yogurt, milk or water. Too moist/liquidy? Add a bit of rice, cacao or protein powder.
- Finish your bowl with an extra spoon of soy yogurt and/or your favourite toppings
This post is also available in NL