I’m not making it a secret anymore. I dig simple recipes. Those recipes that are done as quickly as possible, that leave the least amount of mess, and that do not contain unnecessary ingredients for which you need to drive half an hour through town (excl. traffic) to go buy it and afterwards never use it again. Completely in compliance with this philosophy, I introduce to you: super easy chocolate banana bread.
No but really. This recipe is so simple that you probably don’t even need to leave the house. Big chance you got the ingredients already in your cupboard. The only things you need are: bananas, oats, dates, cacao powder, salt and baking powder (or baking soda and apple cider vinegar). That’s it!
You can also call this a healthy vegan chocolate cake. This cake is made with only plant-based ingredients and does not contain butter, egg, oil or refined sugar. So just to put that in order:
- No egg
- No butter
- No oil
- No refined sugar
Omg how is that possible??
Simple: the banana replaces the butter, the dates replace the sugar, and the baking powder (or bakins soda) gives it the fluff and rise, what makes the egg unnecessary. This easy chocolate banana bread is also suitable for (ethical botanical) fruitarians: it does not contain any vital plant parts. So it is also plant friendly. 🙂
Now let’s begin the baking!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 220 grams oatmeal or oatmeal flour
- 30 grams unsweetened cacao powder
- 100 grams medjool dates (pits taken out)
- 8 grams baking powder (or 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 2 pinches of salt
Optional but really good
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Vanilla essence
- 50 grams walnuts
How to make Super Easy Chocolate Banana Bread
Pre-heat the oven on 180ºC (350ºF) and lightly grease a cake pan so the thing won’t stick.
Put the oatmeal in a dry blender or kitchen machine and blend to make flour of it.
Put the oatmeal flour together with the cacao powder, the baking powder/baking soda* and the salt in a bowl and stir well.
- Blend the bananas and dates with the blender / mixer and throw it right into the bowl of stuff you made in the previous step. Also now is the time to add the extra ingredients if you’d like. Mix everything really well with a spoon or with your hands.
Put the mixture in the cake pan, smoothen the upside with the back of a spoon (yes you can lick the thing after you did that) and bake this insanely easy chocolate banana bread for 45 minutes in the oven on 180 degrees Celcius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Let the bread cool down before you cut it. Believe me, your self control will be rewarded. 😉
* Do you use baking soda? Then after step 4, you mix the apple cider vinegar through. Yup, that will make some foam – which will cause the cake to rise. If you use baking powder you don’t need to add apple cider vinegar.
PS: The orange stuff in the picture is mashed pumpkin I had left from another recipe. Other fancy toppings are slices of banana or other fruit, or a handful of nuts or seeds. Looks nice. Not obligatory.
This post is also available in NL